Could you help to lead Birmingham Friends of the Earth by joining our Management Committee?
Birmingham Friends of the Earth (BFoE) exists to promote positive environmental change by increasing awareness of environmental issues. It does this particularly through campaigning and through practical activity at its community environment centre, The Warehouse, in Digbeth.
As we put the finishing touches to our major redevelopment project, funded by a community share issue, we are looking for enthusiastic people with useful skills to help us make this ambition a reality by joining our Management Committee.
The Management Committee is the Board of Directors of the Community Benefit Society through which we operate, it meets 5 – 6 times a year and is responsible for setting strategy and overseeing the operation, development and staffing of the organisation. More information on BFoE’s activities can be found at www.birminghamfoe.org.uk.
We are particularly seeking people with skills in the areas of project and building management, finance including community finance, and HR.
If you feel that you have the skills, time and enthusiasm to contribute to shaping BFOE’s future in this vital way, please email email@example.com attaching your CV or call Karen on 0121 685 1155 to find out more.
Closing date 4th June 2017.
(Our Annual General Meeting is being held on Monday 11th June. Following this successful candidates, who have not been otherwise elected to the Management Committee, will be co-opted to serve until the 2019 AGM).
Friends of the Earth (Birmingham) Ltd. Management Committee member role description
- To ensure that the organisation complies with its governing document, society law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
- To ensure that the organisation pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
- To ensure that the organisation uses its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects: the organisation must not spend money on activities which are not included in its own objects,
no matter how worthwhile those activities are.
- To contribute actively to the management committee’s role in giving firm strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the good name and values of Birmingham Friends of the Earth.
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation.
- To ensure the financial stability of the organisation
- To protect and manage the property of the organisation and to ensure the proper investment of the organisation’s funds
- Employing and managing key members of staff and agreeing a staffing structure for the organisation, determine roles and monitor performance.
Each member should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the committee reach sound decisions. This may involve:
- Scrutinising Board papers
- Leading discussions
- Focusing on key issues
- Providing guidance on new initiatives
- Other issues in which the Board member has special expertise
We are currently looking for people with the following areas of knowledge:
Property Management / Community and Member Engagement / Understanding Financial Accounts / Developing Strategy / Fundraising.
- Commitment to the concept and values of Birmingham Friends of the Earth.
- Willingness, ability and availability to devote the necessary time and effort.
- Understanding of the important legal role of a Director of a Community Benefit Society (for which you will be offered induction and training) and the ability to carry out the role with sufficient independence and without significant conflicts of interest.
What Impact Will You Have?
You will be instrumental in ensuring we have the capacity to change your environment for the better and make sure that those who pollute, monopolise or despoil it locally, nationally, or internationally are held accountable.