This Saturday, 28th November, we’ll be doing our 8th annual Santa Parade for Buy Nothing Day in Birmingham. The pictures below are from last year’s event, which as ever was a light-hearted affair with a serious message.
This year, as well as the parade for Buy Nothing Day, the Santas will also be taking part in a special Guitar Wave at midday on St Phillips Square along with members of the Stop Climate Chaos Coalition to raise awareness of The Wave which is taking place in London the following Saturday and should be the biggest Climate Change march ever seen in this country with coaches galore going down there from Birmingham and other parts of the country. Ours is sold out, but look here for details of others.
- Do I need it?
- How many do I already have?
- How much will I use it?
- How long will it last?
- Could I borrow it from a friend or family member?
- Am I able to clean and/or maintain it myself?
- Will I be able to repair it?
- Am I willing to?
- Have I researched it to get the best quality for the best price?
- How will I dispose of it when I’m done using it?
- Are the resources that went into it renewable or nonrenewable?
- Is it made from recycled materials, and is it recyclable?
If at the end of that list, you still think you’re doing the right thing, then go ahead and make your purchase. If not, think of a better way of spending your hard-earned cash or not don’t spend it until you can think of something that satisfies the criteria for doing so.
Spending time with the ones you love is far more valuable than any material object and there are certainly plenty of things you can do together without spending money. Follow @buynothingday on twitter for suggestions on that, or just use your imagination – that doesn’t cost anything or have a carbon footprint.
Join us on Saturday for a day of spending nothing and having fun!