Purpose of role
To help Birmingham Friends of the Earth promote their building’s facilities and communicate their campaigns to the public across social media and design platforms.
Birmingham Friends of the Earth runs The Warehouse, an environmental community space offering meeting rooms, office space, a café, bike shop and much more. The Warehouse is also the base from which Birmingham Friends of the Earth campaign on key local environmental issues.
You will be supported by and reporting to the Admin and Facilities Officer, and liaising with other staff, volunteers and external organisations as needed.
Location: Birmingham – The BFOE Warehouse office in Digbeth; some working from home also possible.
Hours: Flexible, to be discussed with the applicant. Anything from 4 hours to 2 days per week would be very welcome.
Length of opportunity: Flexible, to be discussed with the applicant. We ask for a minimum of two months.
In consultation with the Admin and Facilities Officer, the Campaigns Support Worker and other volunteers, key responsibilities will include:
- Developing a strong social media presence and effective communications profile for The Warehouse, which will involve:
– Promoting the building’s facilities, tenants and events across social media platforms
– Actively seeking engagement with a wide variety of ‘audiences’, supporting the growth of the Warehouse as a hub of local activity
– Designing promotional posters and leaflets
– Updating The Warehouse website
– Seeking other new and creative promotional opportunities
- Helping BFOE to maintain a strong social media presence and effective communications profile, which will involve:
– Promoting our events and campaigns across social media platforms
– Actively using social media platforms to expand and diversify our network in an impactful way
– Reacting to relevant local, national and international news stories
– Monitoring social media platforms for any responses or mentions
You could also develop a communications strategy for us if this is a skill you have or want to practice.
The skills we’d like from you are:
- A demonstrable commitment to the aims and objectives of BFOE and the Warehouse – progressing positive environmental change.
- Knowledge of social media channels and how they can be used by organisations like BFOE
- The ability to think creatively and communicate with a large and diverse audiences
- Excellent written and communication skills.
- Basic design skills
- Computer literate, with experience in relevant aspects of MS Office and other IT skills
- Good project management, time management and prioritisation skills
- Working knowledge of websites.
You don’t have to be an expert in all of these and we are happy to work with you to help you learn new skills.
What you will gain:
- Skills and experience around communications and social media
- Meeting new people
- The opportunity to work in a friendly, environmentally conscious building with a wide variety of occupants